This syndrome was first described in 1979 by a specialist in psychiatry in Florence. The name of the disease is associated with the name of a famous French writer, who was a very impressionable person. The tombs of great people he saw in the Church of the Holy Cross made such a strong impression that when he left the room, the writer fainted from what he saw. This disease is extremely rare today, but it is diagnosed by psychotherapists.
The main causes of Stendhal syndrome are as follows:
- increased sensitivity of the psyche to external stimuli;
- unstable psyche;
- depressive states;
- chronic stress;
- nervous shocks suffered the day before.
Symptoms of Stendhal syndrome
The main symptoms of Stendhal syndrome are the following:
- a strong heartbeat;
- increased body temperature;
- feeling of lack of support under your feet;
- loss of body control;
- complete loss of consciousness.
The risk group for this disease is women aged 25 to 40 years, as well as impressionable, educated, with an acute sense of beauty people.
Especially this syndrome is prone to people who have long harbored the idea of a future journey and are looking forward to meeting with works of art.
If you find yourself with similar symptoms, contact your doctor immediately. It is easier to prevent the disease than to deal with the consequences.
To diagnose such a disease, it is necessary to undergo an examination by a clinical psychologist or neurologist.
Treatment of Stendhal syndrome
Treatment of Stendhal syndrome is reduced to such methods:
- conversations with a psychoanalyst, who will help the patient calm down and give the opportunity os hare their experiences;
- taking light sedatives;
- avoiding nervous shocks, stressful situations, loud sounds and bright lights;
The disease does not pose a huge danger to human health, but its consequences can bring a lot of problems. For example, sudden loss of consciousness in an unfamiliar place can lead to injuries and dangerous domestic situations (robbery, beating, etc.).
The preventive measures of Stendhal syndrome include the following measures:
- avoiding stressful situations;
- dealing with depressive states;
- taking preventive sedatives.